Firstly, if you are looking at this information because you need to arrange a funeral for a child then can we please extend our heartfelt sympathy and condolences to your family. We will do everything in our power to help you at this very difficult time.
We are offering a full traditional funeral for children for £300. Below is a full breakdown of funeral costs and how most of these are covered for you.
- Cremation – The cost of cremation is covered by the Government’s Child Funeral Fund (CFF) and will be reclaimed by the crematorium so you will not be charged.
- The cost for interment of ashes with a memorial is also covered by the CFF.
- Burial – The cost of a grave, including interment costs, are covered by the CFF. This will usually be reclaimed by the council or the church, whichever is relevant to the location of the grave, and you will not be charged. If the location does not reclaim this cost themselves then we will pay it for you and reclaim it ourselves. (This includes the cost for a third party grave digger if required).
- Coffin – the price for a coffin is covered by the CFF up to £300. We will not charge you for this, we will reclaim the cost directly ourselves.
- Medical Certificate (for cremation) – This is covered by the CFF and we will reclaim this directly so you will not be charged.
- Ashes Container – The Child Funeral Fund cover this cost but no amount or limit is specified.
- Celebrant or Minister – The CFF do not cover this cost but we have a number of celebrants who are experienced with children’s funerals and who do not take a fee for this service.
- Penrose Professional Fees – our professional fees for a traditional funeral are £1,698 but we reduce this for a child’s funeral to £300. This is intended to cover only our expenses such as vehicles, bearers etc, everything else we do is at zero cost.
- Viewings – we offer free viewings to all our clients but we extend this to free weekend viewings for children.
- Collection – we do free collection during the day for all our clients but we extend this to free collection at any time for children.
- Church Service – while we cannot say what any given church may or may not charge for a child’s funeral we will waive our usual cost for attending a church service. If you wish we will bring the coffin to the church the evening before and lay in state at no extra cost.
The details and costs above will provide you with a full traditional funeral including a full team of bearers with an experienced FD and an elegant hearse. If you wish to add anything else, such as embalming, a limousine or a horse drawn carriage then we will only charge to cover direct costs as we do with all our funerals. We are happy to give you details of costs for anything your would wish and many can be found on this website.
We offer a range of memorial services for items such as fingerprints and hand/foot prints that can be added to jewellery or provided as a range of casts and memorabilia. These services are most commonly used for children’s funerals and we are happy to advise and arrange this for you.
You will find much of the Child Funeral Fund information and more if you visit www.gov.uk/child-funeral-costs. You will also have access to the relevant forms and documents for applying for funds and refunds online.
Nothing can take away the pain of losing a child. All we can offer is the opportunity to say goodbye in a calm and supportive environment and to take as much of the strain for arranging everything from you as we can.